Sometimes folks ask me what I'm doing, so I thought I'd share a few things on my plate right now:
Courses and Conferences
1. Reading several papers for the KDD 2012 Conference Industrial / Government Track
2. Preparing for the Predictive Analytics World / Toronto "Advanced Methods Hands-on:
Predictive Modeling Techniques" workshop on April 27. I'm using the Statsoft Statistica package.
3. Starting preparation for a talk at the Salford Analytics and Data Mining Conference 2012, "A More Transparent Interpretation of Health Club Surveys" on May 24. It will highlight use of the CART software package in the analysis. This was work that motivated interviews with New York Times reporter Charles Duhigg, and ended with a mention (albeit *very* briefly) in the fascinating new book by Duhigg, "The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business".
4. Working through data exercises for the next UCSD-Extension Text Mining Course on May 11, 18, and 25th. I'm using KNIME for this course.
Approximately 80% of my time is spent on active consulting. While I can't describe most of the work I'm doing, my current clients are in the following domains:
1. Web Analytics and email remarketing for retail via a great startup company, Smarter Remarketer headed by Angel Morales (Founder and Chief Innovation Officer), Howard Bates (CEO), and me (Founder and Chief Scientist).
2. Customer Acquisition, web/online and offline (2 clients)
3. Tax Modeling (2 clients)
4. Data mining software tool selection for a large health care provider.
Here's to productive application of predictive analytics!